PADI Divemasters and Dive Instructors -
What jobs can we do?
PADI is the most widely recognized recreational dive training agency in the world. Over 70% of all diving certifications are PADI and PADI Instructors and Divemasters are always in high demand. You will be able to find work all over the world in an endless supply of exciting locations. As a PADI dive professional, the world is your oyster.
PADI Divemaster Job Description
The main function of divemasters in a tropical location such as Malapascua is to lead fun divers on guided tours of the reef. Thailand, Bali, Fiji, the Caribbean, the Great Barrier Reef... the choice is endless.
Wherever you decide to get a job, you will quickly get to know the local reef and can take your customers to the most interesting places and show them the local marine life. You are like a tour guide of the reef.
For instance, in Malapascua, you will be able to take them to see sharks, using the correct procedures to maximize your shark sightings. Or you can go to where you know that harlequin shrimp hides, or find them a pygmy seahorse. Or any of the other rare and wonderful marine life that your customers would never be able to find for themselves.
As well as guiding you are able to do the following:
- Generally supervise both training and non training-related activities by assisting divers and student divers in the planning, organizing and direction of dives.
- Assist PADI Instructors on PADI courses and independently guide some portions of the course.
- Conduct any subsequent dives for Discover Scuba Diving participants, after the participants
have satisfactorily completed the first dive under the supervision of a PADI Instructor.
- Conduct the PADI Discover Snorkeling program.
- Conduct the PADI Scuba Review program for certified divers.
- Teach and certify PADI Skin Divers independently including PADI Seal Skin Diver for children.
- Conduct the skin diving skills segment of the Open Water Diver Course.
With additional training you can:
- Teach Emergency First Response courses after successfully completing an Emergency First Response Instructor course.
- Independently conduct Discover Scuba Diving in a pool or in confined open water
- Teach the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer specialty course under the direction of a PADI Instructor after earning the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer Specialty Instructor rating
PADI Instructor Job Description
This is where the fun really starts.
You can do everything a Divemaster can do, and you can also teach diving courses.
Once certified as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor you can teach all levels up to Divemaster. This includes:
- Open Water Diver
- Advanced Open Water Diver
- Rescue Diver
- Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Diver
- Project AWARE Specialties
- Seal Team
- Discover Scuba Diving
Once you are a PADI Instructor you should get some PADI Specialty Course Instructor ratings. At the next level of Master Scuba Diver Trainer you have shown that you have some teaching experience, and additionally can teach at least 5 more specialty courses. As you move up to PADI IDC Staff Instructor and Course Director you can teach instructors.